Let’s be honest; buying new cleaning products can be a drag; they’re expensive, bad-smelling, and usually a concoction of several types of obscure chemicals. Plus, with all the different products on the market, you can spend a fortune buying cleaners for every room, appliance and fixture in your home!
Are you ready to try something a little more natural? You can save a few dollars and ensure your home is naturally clean by using ingredients you likely already have in your cupboard or pantry. And best of all, your house won’t smell like a newly chlorinated pool or a sanitized emergency room!
5 Natural Cleaning Agents
- Baking soda: Baking soda is a natural cleaning agent and odor eliminator. You can use baking soda to scour surfaces without fear of abrasion. You probably already use baking soda as a fridge deodorizer. You can also add it to your washing machine (1/2 cup per load) to eliminate clothing odors, or sprinkle it on your carpet before vacuuming to freshen the floors.
- Lemon juice: This isn’t just for salad dressings and beverages. Lemon juice naturally dissolves hard water deposits and buildup on wood. You can even clean tarnished silver using lemon juice.
- Vinegar: Like lemon juice, vinegar is also fantastic on hard water and soap scum. Don’t worry; that obtrusive smell will dissipate once you’re done cleaning.
- Essential Oils: Essential oils like lavender and tea-tree are natural fungicides and can help kill and prevent mold. To use, simply add 2 teaspoons of essential oils to 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Bonus! The smell is heavenly.
- Salt: Mixed with some other natural ingredients, salt can make an excellent scrubbing solution. Combine equal parts vinegar and salt for an all-purpose cleaning solution that works on countertops, linoleum, tile, and other home surfaces.
Do you have a go-to natural cleaning solution? Tell us your secret below! For harder jobs, just give us a call. If you are located in Las Vegas, we can help you with your home cleaning needs.
Originally posted 2013-03-28 21:22:36.