Spending 8 (or more) hours a day in an office can be stifling. That’s especially true if you’re spending it in an uncontrolled mess! Sure, keeping things tidy can be tough with an office full of individuals who all have different ideas of “cleanliness,” but following our nine tips below can help you feel a bit less frazzled and maybe even a little more productive.
9 Tips for a Cleaner Office
- Keep cleaning supplies on-hand. When you have desk and window cleaner, disinfecting wipes and paper towels on hand, people are much more likely to use them (imagine that!).
- Make room for a coat closet, or install hooks or a coat rack to keep clothing items from getting unwieldy in smaller spaces.
- De-junk! If you’ve got files dating back decades, it may be time to get rid of some things. Keep only the old paperwork required by the IRS or other legal entities.
- Go paperless: Clean the clutter and be environmentally friendly at the same time by instituting a no-paper policy. Make sure all employees are trained to store necessary files electronically with proper backup.
- Supply extra trash/recycling bins: Keep trash and recycling bins in close proximity to each desk so employees aren’t tempted to procrastinate tossing out unnecessary paperwork and other junk.
- Hire an intern to file: Your office may be the victim of a filing regime gone bad! Hire an intern or base-level employee to keep paperwork and files neat and organized for everyone.
- Institute a clean-up policy for the break room: Rotate the task of tidying up the break room (including refrigerator) among employees to keep the kitchen area fresh and clean.
- Keep a dust-vac around: You may not need a heavy duty vacuum, but keeping a small handheld vacuum around can help with small messes, daily dirt, and crumbs.
- Hire a great cleaning service! To keep things clean on a regular basis, hire a well-reputed company for the deep cleaning. We may even know of one!